5 Questions To Ask Yourself When Painting and Papering | Kensington, MD
When you’re moving into a new home, you’ll probably be painting & papering to produce the exact effect you’re looking for. Many people get lost when they look at the various shades of paint available in the same color. The differences appear so slight at first glance that it’s difficult to decide which is the right one for you. As general contractors, we can help you resolve your dilemma, since we’ve painted and papered many homes according to the specifications of homeowners. Still, here are a few questions you can ask yourself before beginning the process of painting or papering your home:
- Have you decided what furniture you’re going to use? You obviously want to make sure that your walls match with your furniture. You don’t want to go with an exact match but you might want to stay in the same color family. So if your sofa is a dark blue, you might want to paint or paper your walls a light blue. On the other hand, you might prefer to go with a color that contrasts with your furniture.
- What kind of feel do you want to create? Different colors are known for invoking different moods. If you want to go with a relaxing feel, you’ll probably want a cool color like light blue or light green. If you want something invigorating, you’ll want a bright color like yellow or bright blue.
- Do you want to go modern or retro? If you’re planning to have a more modern look in your apartment, you’ll probably want to paint your walls in one flat color. However, nowadays, the distressed, retro look is really in fashion. So you could choose to make your walls look more broken in by adopting this look. Wallpaper can also be used to create a quaint retro feel.
- Does your home have a theme? Many people adopt a theme while doing up their interiors. This is a good idea because, if you don’t have a theme from the beginning, you can end up getting a lot of mismatched stuff. So if you have, for example, a watery theme, you can do your walls up in shades of blue and green and put up seascapes on your walls. A pool or a koi pond in your backyard will also help to expand this theme.
- Do you have children? Most people who have children have to childproof their homes in one way or the other. If you have kids, speak to your contractor about using paints or wallpaper that won’t stain or scratch easily. You might also want to use slightly darker colors so that scratches and stains won’t show. And, of course, you’ll want to make sure that the paints are not hazardous in case your child accidentally scratches the wall and decides to taste the results on his/her finger!
These are just a few considerations you might want to keep in mind when getting your home painted or papered. Contact us for more information.