5 Tips on Installing Custom Cabinets Without a General Contractor | Washington DC
Did you know that you can install custom cabinets yourself even without the help of a general contractor? It's true! So while a general contractor will have knowledge that you may not, you can still go about the task pretty much by yourself with just a few pieces of knowledge to help you if things get tough.
Here are some simple tips to help you install custom cabinets.
1. Choose your material. Custom means it's all about what you want, all the way down to the material you choose. Be sure to pre-measure for accurate installation.
2. Side frame construction. Side frames are designed to hold your cabinets in place once they arrive. To build these, construct to the appropriate size and attach with nails and wood glue. For extra help use a framing square.
3. Front frame construction. Just like a your side frame, your front frame needs to be measured and cut square for accuracy. Cut your wood and drill holes with a pocket hole jig, assemble the frame with nails and wood glue.
4. Smooth the back. With a router, navigate it around the backside of the frames for a routed, smoothed edge. The panels will slide and fit more snug this way.
5. Finish up! After your frames are complete, place your 1/2" melamine pieces in place, attach with wood glue. Sand, paint, and stain as you desire. Then attach the hardware and drawer tracks and you're all set!
In a bind with your custom cabinets? Please feel free to contact us for more information on how we can help you with all of your home renovation needs. We have decades of experience remodeling homes in the MD area, and are happy to answer any questions you may have when it comes to your home.