5 Tips on Refinishing a Hardwood Floor from Your General Contractor | Georgetown
Nothing is more beautiful than a fully restored hardwood floor. Seeing all of your hard work come to fruition is about as satisfying of a feeling you can think of.
So if you've got a hardwood floor hiding under your carpet, perhaps it's time to dive-in and revitalize your home.
Here are 5 tips on refinishing your hardwood floor from your Maryland general contractor.
1. Know your finishes. Finishes for a hardwood floor range, but not by much. So to soothe your hardwood floor desires, choose between 3 types of finishes: polyurethane, varnish, and sealer. Each one serves a different purpose, so discuss what is right before you buy.
2. Talk to a professional. Refinishing a hardwood floor might seem like a DIY job. However, to do it right, you might need a professional. Because when you think about it, the amount of time you put into it might even out in the end. So weigh your options, and make an informed decision.
3. Always rent equipment. Buying new toys is always fun. But for a job like refinishing hardwood floors, renting is usually better. Besides, if you need it more than once, you can always rent it again. Plus renting will save you tons of money.
4. Sanding may not be necessary. Depending on the level of distress your newly established hardwood floor has, you could skip the entire sanding process. You might be able to get away with minimal scuff-sanding to get the look you want.
5. Buff, finish, repeat. Coat after coat after coat doesn't work for hardwood. It's not the same as painting a wall. To ensure your new floor looks beautiful and lasts, it's important to buff in between coats. This removes impurities and adds a shine you'll enjoy for years.
Looking for help with your hardwood floors? Consider contacting us for more information on what we can do for you.