Considering doing some home renovations? Home-improvement shows make refreshing a home look easy, and directions on how to do almost anything are only a click away on the internet. Before you jump in over your head, check out our list of six reasons why you should hire a professional for completing your home renovation projects.
- A professional has experience, and knows how to complete your project the right way the first time. Renovation mistakes can be costly.
- A professional will already have the right tools for the job. The cost of tool purchase or rental could easily double your renovation budget!
- Professionals know all about building codes and can complete your projects to code specifications.
- Professionals know what permits your job will require and how to apply for them.
- A professional will have the time to do the job. DIY renovations may take longer than expected. Hiring a professional will often prove more cost-effective.
When looking for a professional, homeowners can choose between hiring a general contractor, a subcontractor, or a handyman or tradesman.
- General contractors are licensed, bonded, and insured professionals who are prepared to manage your entire renovation from start to finish. They are able to point out any flaws in your plans and make suggestions on how to complete a project to your specifications and your satisfaction. General contractors can show samples, order materials, provide and supervise the work crew, pull building permits, and pay any subcontractors.
- A subcontractor is a professional in a specific field. Subcontractors may be electricians, plumbers, roofers, painters, or landscapers. They may work for a general contractor, or may be hired for an independent job. A homeowner with knowledge of one aspect of home-improvement may wish to hire a subcontractor to complete another aspect of the project. Subcontractors are usually, but not always licensed, bonded, and insured.
- A handyman can work independently, but usually works for a contractor or subcontractor. A handyman does not need to be licensed, bonded or insured. Most have a general area of expertise. When hiring a handyman or tradesman, a homeowner is responsible for contacting the city for approval of required building permits. The homeowner is responsible for choosing and ordering materials, and supervising the project.
For more information about home renovations or improvement projects, contact us! Smith, Thomas & Smith Inc. is a premier general contracting company, serving our area since 1960. We would be happy to discuss how we can help make your house a beautiful place to live!